- Soft cheeses such as brie, camembert, Roquefort, gorgonzola, Danish blue cheese
- Homemade mayonnaise, coleslaw
- Some homemade ice-creams
- Unpasteurised dairy (milk and cheese) – pasteurisation kills bacteria in milk through heating
- Raw or under-cooked meat (be careful with BBQ meat)
- Cold cured meats such as salami, parma ham, chorizo and pepperoni
- Tuna should be limited to one 150g per week
The main risk with these foods is listeriosis and toxoplasmosis. These bacteria can cause miscarriage, fetal malformations and stillbirth.
- Limit coffee to one cup a day (200mg caffeine) in the first trimester. High caffeine intake increases the risk of miscarriage.
- Avoid alcohol
Make sure all fruit and vegetables are washed before you eat them.